Thursday 23 May 2019

Let's Talk About Reading in Public

Alright, folks. So with the weather warming up, I am determined to spend more time outside the house this summer. However, I also want to read more this summer. I guess that means I will be reading more outside my house!



I do have some ideas and concerns about this, though. I want to talk a bit about them, and get your thoughts.



So first, I want to talk about the benefits of reading outside the house!



Exercise. You have to walk, or jog, to where you're going to be reading. This is great because there is a library near my house where I want to spend more time, so I get to be surrounded by books and get some exercise!



Sunlight and fresh air. Reading outside the house can include reading in parks, cemeteries, or at the beach. As a result, this can increase the amount of sunlight and fresh air you get, which is also great.



Bench behind abandoned house

Image found here


Discovering other books. If you decide to go sit at the library to read, you can also browse for more books to read later on!


An excuse to get ice cream. Hey, I'm outside and sweating in the sun, might as well get some ice cream to cool down!


I do have some concerns about reading in public, though!


First off, comfort. I like to sit cross-legged, or stretch my legs on the couch when I read. I can't exactly do that on the park bench. I have to be more careful about taking up space.


 13451045

 I would not read this in public.


The books themselves. The subject matter of a book can be an issue when reading in public. There is the issue of the cover of a book, of course. Many romantic books have very steamy cover scenes, and personally I would not be comfortable reading them in public. Sometimes book titles can be a little raunchy as well! Maybe I am being paranoid here, but I also would avoid reading books such as Pet Sematary or The Smart Aleck's Guide to Grave Robbing in the cemetery.


The sun/heat. Of course, while getting more sun and fresh air is great, if it is too hot or sunny outside, you might find yourself regretting settling outside for a read.


People. People might come up to you and ask to talk about what you are reading. This is an issue for me because I am introverted and socially awkward.


What are your thoughts on reading in public? Do you agree with my pros/cons? Are there any other benefits or concerns you have that I have missed?


Happy Reading!


No comments:

Post a Comment