Monday 19 June 2017

Hourglass by Claudia Gray


6421588


Series: Evernight
Author: Claudia Gray
Page Count: 339
Published: March 9th, 2010
Publisher: HarperTeen
  5 Stars ★★★★★


Bianca has escaped from Evernight Academy after a fight between the vampires and Black Cross. Now, she and her boyfriend, Lucas, are living with Black Cross, which is made much more dangerous by the fact that Bianca is actually a vampire. If Black Cross finds out, she could be tortured or even killed. 

While keeping her secret is hard enough, things become even harder when Balthazar is taken prisoner. Pretending to hate him, she and Lucas must now consider not only how to escape themselves, but how to rescue Balthazar as well. 

Things don't exactly go as planned, and Bianca struggles with the possibility of becoming a full vampire. She knows what kind of existence she'll have to live with if she goes through with it, but what will happen to her if she doesn't?

The third novel of the Evernight series really blew me away. It dealt with so much at once, including Bianca's relationship with Lucas, her love for her family and her struggle with her vampire nature. Everything seemed explored very deeply, and whenever I picked this up, I was totally captivated. 

Claudia Gray made this book especially emotional, particularly during the events near the end of the book. I will admit, I did cry a little (it seems I've been reading many tear-inducing books lately!) and I really, really need the next book. As soon as humanly possible. 

The level of emotion near the end shows how immersed in Bianca's world I found myself. I think the best part about this series is the relationships between the characters, not only Bianca's romantic relationship with Lucas but her friendships with Vic, Raquel, and especially Balthazar. After reading the first three books, which are written in Bianca's perspective, I honestly feel like I'm friends with these three too! Everyone feels so real, and the way that they care about each other is often touching. 

Bianca is one of my favourite characters in YA fiction because she is so strong. She is able to adapt to change quickly, she's passionate, and she's determined. She never truly gives up. I'm sad to know that there are only a few more books left in the series for me to read, because I just love everything about this series!

Aside from stirring up emotions, I found the ending of this book to be quite the cliffhanger. I can't wait to find a copy of Afterlife, though I'll probably wait a while to read it because I don't want to get closer to finishing the series!

Readers who like YA novels with vampires will appreciate the Evernight series. If you want a main character who is very likeable, and if you like reading about strong friendships and bonds through tough times, this series is for you!

No comments:

Post a Comment