Monday 13 July 2015

Banned Books?

So I was reading a post about banned books on bookjourney.net and it got me thinking....

I am 100% against censorship when it comes to books. While I may not enjoy every book, I feel that all books are a work of art. Somebody took their time to write something, to express something, to spread ideas and provoke thought....and I feel that every author has the right to have their work out in the world, shared for others to enjoy, critique, or recommend.

I understand banning books under certain circumstances, such as an elementary or high school banning books due to inappropriate content for the age range. But I feel this is the only real, acceptable excuse for banning books.

Click here for a list of frequently challenged books by decade.

Click here for a list of frequently challenged books of the 21st century.

Click here for a list of banned and challenged classics.

I'm surprised by some of the books that have been challenged or banned. The Goosebumps series by R.L Stine? The Absolutely True Diary of a Part-Time Indian by Sherman Alexie? Twilight by Stephenie Meyer?

In the end, I find banning books is generally a silly practice meant to silence voices, prevent diversity, prevent free thinking and diversity of thought, and to control through censorship. In other words, I don't like it.

What are your thoughts on banning books? What's your favourite banned book? Comment below!

2 comments:

  1. Banning books is completely unnecessary! I understand not wanting a young child to read something with lots of bad language, sex, and even violence. I believe that decision should be left up to the parents and when old enough the person themselves. Authors work hard on their stories and they do deserve the right to share it. Great post!


    Carrie @The Book Goddess

    ReplyDelete
  2. Exactly!

    Thank you :)

    ReplyDelete